Friday, July 18, 2008

Day 7

Today Ethan Is One Week Old!

It is so hard to believe, the past week has just flew by!

Grandma and Grandpa Saneholtz went with Sean and I to see Ethan last night! He is still doing great and has even gained some weight! He now weighs 2 pounds and 4 ounces! That is 5 1/2 ounces more than he weighed at birth! They decided to try and put Ethan on a different type of machine to help him breath called a Heated Flow Nasal Cannula. The difference from the CPAP mask (what he was on before) is that it provides less pressure and it has smaller prongs that go into his nose.

This after noon Sean and I went to see Ethan. We were informed that they had to put Ethan back on the CPAP mask. The little guy was just working to hard to breath, and was just getting wore out. They also told me that his lips were getting chapped and to bring in some chap-stix. (I just thought that was too cute!)

Tonight I made yet another trip to see Ethan while Sean was working (he really would have rather been with us than at work). Josh and Sarah two very good friends of Sean and I went also. They were so excited to meet Ethan for the first time! While we were there they were having problems with Ethan not keeping his mouth closed. If he has it open all the time all the help the CPAP mask is giving him goes in his nose and out his mouth. They had already put a little chin strap (see picture) on him to help keep it closed but it really wasn't helping all that much because he kept moving around. When we left Ethan was getting fussy because the respiratory ladies were trying to get him in a position to keep his mouth closed. When I talked to Sean on his break and told him about our visit and Ethan not keeping his mouth closed he said "Well we all know he gets that from his mom." I think he was trying to say I talk a lot or something! haha

I just called to the NICU and spoke with his nurse she said that right after we left they got him all fixed up and that he was sleeping just like a baby! haha

On a different note I am feeling a lot better! Still a little sore but a lot better than I have in a long time (even before I delivered)



Beth

1 comment:

Mike & Sheri Plotts said...

Beth, Sean & Ethan,
Just wanted you to know we are so thankful that Ethan is going so well. He's a beautiful baby!!! You all are in our thoughts and prayers.
Mike and Sheri Plotts